Kathrine Meyers, DrPH, MS, MPP
- Assistant Professor of Medicine CUIMC
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BA, 1998 East Asian Studies, Harvard College
- MPH, 2002 Master in Public Policy, Political and Economic Development, Harvard University
- PhD, 2011 Public Health, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- MA, 2019 Master in Clinical and Translational Science, Rockefeller University
Honors & Awards
Social Inequalities Research Award, Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University (Annual prize for outstanding dissertation awarded jointly by the Departments of Sociomedical Sciences and Epidemiology)
First Prize Master’s Thesis Award, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (Annual prize for best thesis)
Master Thesis Research Fellowship, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (Multiple fellowships awarded)
06/1996 – 08/1996
Leila Sobin Summer Research Fellowship, East Asian Studies, Harvard University (Single fellowship awarded)
The Meyers Lab is focused on more effectively bridging the gap between the development of optimal therapeutic, prophylactic, and diagnostic approaches for infectious diseases (eg HIV, viral hepatitis, coronaviruses) and their practical implementation. Positioned at the far end of the translational research process, our work extends beyond the bedside to the study of the processes and factors supporting successful, evidence-based interventions within specific clinical and public health settings. Using mixed-method approaches, our goal is to ensure that emergent clinical and public health interventions are available to practitioners and to potential beneficiaries, to prepare for the rapid and sustained adoption of new biomedical interventions and to maximize health benefits at the population level. To that end, our lab collaborates with clinical sites, community-based organizations and government organizations to implement NIH-funded studies internationally and domestically. Engaging stakeholders at all stages of the research is a critical component of our process, leading to practical study design, and findings that are useful to our partners.
- Meyers K, Price D, & Golub S. Behavioral and social science research to support accelerated and equitable implementation of long-acting pre-exposure prophylaxis. Current Opinions in HIV/AIDS. 2020; 15(1):66-72.
- Liu C & Meyers K. Beyond clinical trials: social outcomes of structured stakeholder engagement in biomedical HIV prevention trials in China. Culture, Health, and Sexuality.2020;22(12):1365-1381.
- Golub S, Meyers K, & Enemchukwa C. Perspectives and Recommendations from LGBTQ Youth of Color regarding Engagement in Biomedical HIV Prevention. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2020; 66(3):281-287.
- Castor D, Meyers K, & Allen, S. The only way is up: priorities for implementing long-acting antiretrovirals for HIV prevention and treatment Current Opinions in HIV/AIDS. Review. 2020; 15(1):73-80.
- Rong F, Kutner B, Wu Y, Xie L, Hou J, Meng S, Gu Y, Xu H, Huang Z, He N, Meyers K. Do gay and bisexual men who conceal their same-sex behavior prefer different kinds of health services? Findings across four cities to inform client-centered HIV prevention in China. BMC Public Health. 2020; 6;20(1):4.
- Wu Y, Xie L, Meng S, Hou J, Fu R, Zheng H, He N, Meyers K. Mapping Potential Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Users onto a Motivational Cascade: Identifying Targets to Prepare for Implementation in China. LGBT health. 2019; 6(5):250-260
- Xie L, Wu Y, Meng S, Hou J, Fu R, Zheng H, He N, Wang M, Meyers K. Risk Behavior Not Associated with Self-Perception of PrEP Candidacy: Implications for Designing PrEP Services. AIDS Behav. 2019 Jul 6;. doi: 10.1007/s10461-019-02587-5.
- Hu QH, Meyers K, Xu JJ, Chu ZX, Zhang J, Ding HB, Han XX, Jiang YJ, Geng WQ, Shang H. Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of early antiretroviral therapy and partners' pre-exposure prophylaxis among men who have sex with men in Shenyang, China: a prospective cohort and costing study. BMC Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 25;19(1):663. doi: 10.1186/s12879-019-4275.
- Meyers K, Brill A, Wu Y, Sandfort T., Golub S. To switch or not to switch: intentions to switch to injectable PrEP among gay and bisexual men with at least twelve months oral PrEP experience. PLoS ONE. 2018; 13(7).
- Huang X, Hou J, Song A, Liu X, Yang X, Xu J, Zhang J, Hu Q, Chen H, Chen Y, Meyers K^, Wu H^. Efficacy of safety of oral TDF-based pre-exposure prophylaxis for men who have sex with men: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2018. 9:799. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2018.00799
- Huang X#, Meyers K#, Liu X, Li X, Zhang T, Xia W, Hou J, Song A, He H, Li C, He S, Cai W, Zhong H, Huang C, Liu S, Wang H, Ling X, Ma P, Ye R, Xiao G, Li T, Ding D, Yaffe K, Chen H, Chen Y, Wu H. The double burdens of mental health among AIDS patients with fully successful immune restoration: a cross-sectional study of anxiety and depression in China. Frontiers in psychiatry. 2018; 9:384. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00384
- Zhang L, Peng P, Wu Y, Ma X, Soe NN, Huang X, Wu, H, Markowitz, M, Meyers, K. Modelling the Epidemiological Impact and Cost-Effectiveness of PrEP for HIV Transmission in MSM in China. AIDS and Behavior. 2018. doi: 10.1007/s10461-018-2205-3.
- Song A, Liu X, Huang X, Meyers K, Oh DY, Hou J, Xia W, Su B, Wang N, Lu X, Xia H, Yang X, Chen H, Wu H. From CD4-Based Initiation to Treating All HIV-Infected Adults Immediately: An Evidence-Based Meta-analysis. Frontiers in immunology. 2018;9:212. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.00212.
- Tucker JD, Meyers K, Best J, Kaplan K, Pendse R, Fenton KA, Andrieux-Meyer I, Figueroa C, Goicochea P, Gore C, Ishizaki A, Khwairakpam G, Miller V, Mozalevskis A, Ninburg M, Ocama P, Peeling R, Walsh N, Colombo MG, Easterbrook P. The HepTestContest: a global innovation contest to identify approaches to hepatitis B and C testing. BMC infectious diseases. 2017;17(Suppl 1):701. doi: 10.1186/s12879-017-2771-4.
- Meyers K, Rodriguez K, Brill AL, Wu Y, La Mar M, Dunbar D, Koblin B, Margolis D, Sobieszczyk ME, Van Tieu H, Frank I, Markowitz M, Golub SA. Lessons for Patient Education Around Long-Acting Injectable PrEP: Findings from a Mixed-Method Study of Phase II Trial Participants. AIDS and behavior. 2017. doi: 10.1007/s10461-017-1871.
- Meyers K, Wu Y, Qian H, Sandfort T, Huang X, Xu J, Zhang J, Xia W, Glidden D, Wu H, Shang H. Interest in Long-Acting Injectable PrEP in a Cohort of Men Who have Sex with Men in China. AIDS and behavior. 2017. doi: 10.1007/s10461-017-1845.
- Huang X, # Li H,# Meyers K, # Xia W, Meng Z, Li C, Bai J, He S, Cai W, Huang C, Liu S, Wang H, Ling X, Ma P, Tan D, Wang F, Ruan L, Zhao H, Wei H, Liu Y, Yu J, Lu H, Wang M, Zhang T, Chen H, Wu H. Burden of sleep disturbances and associated risk factors: A cross-sectional survey among HIV-infected persons on antiretroviral therapy across China. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):3657. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-03968-3.
- Huang X, Liu X, Meyers K, Liu L, Su B, Wang P, Li Z, Li L, Zhang T, Li N, Chen H, Li H, Wu H. Cytokine cascade and networks among MSM HIV seroconverters: implications for early immunotherapy. Scientific reports. 2016;6:36234. doi: 10.1038/srep36234.
- Tang S, Tang W, Meyers K, Chan P, Chen Z, Tucker JD. HIV epidemiology and responses among men who have sex with men and transgender individuals in China: a scoping review. BMC infectious diseases. 2016;16(1):588. doi: 10.1186/s12879-016-1904-5.
- Meyers K, Qian H, Wu Y, Lao Y, Chen Q, Dong X, Li H, Yang Y, Jiang C, Zhou Z. Early Initiation of ARV During Pregnancy to Move towards Virtual Elimination of Mother-to-Child-Transmission of HIV-1 in Yunnan, China. PloS one. 2015;10(9):e0138104. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0138104.
- Jia Z, Huang X, Wu H, Zhang T, Li N, Ding P, Sun Y, Liu Z, Wei F, Zhang H, Jiao Y, Ji Y, Zhang Y, Guo C, Li W, Mou D, Xia W, Li Z, Chen D, Yan H, Chen X, Zhao J, Meyers K, Cohen T, Mayer K, Salomon JA, Lu Z, Dye C. HIV burden in men who have sex with men: a prospective cohort study 2007-2012. Scientific reports. 2015;5:11205. doi: 10.1038/srep11205.
- Meyers K, Golub SA. Planning ahead for implementation of long-acting HIV prevention: challenges and opportunities. Current opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2015;10(4):290-295. doi: 10.1097/coh.0000000000000159.
- Meyers K, Rodriguez K, Moeller RW, Gratch I, Markowitz M, Halkitis PN. High interest in a long-acting injectable formulation of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV in young men who have sex with men in NYC: a P18 cohort substudy. PloS one. 2014;9(12):e114700. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0114700.
- Zhou Z, # Meyers K, # Li X, Chen Q, Qian H, Lao Y, Geng E, Fan Y, Yang S, Chiu M, Ho DD. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 using highly active antiretroviral therapy in rural Yunnan, China. Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999). 2010;53 Suppl 1:S15-22. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e3181c7d47b.
- Liang K, Gui X, Zhang YZ, Zhuang K, Meyers K, Ho DD. A case series of 104 women infected with HIV-1 via blood transfusion postnatally: high rate of HIV-1 transmission to infants through breast-feeding. The Journal of infectious diseases. 2009;200(5):682-686. doi: 10.1086/605123.